Saturday, April 10, 2010

My New Adventure (by Bet)

Today I am embarking on a new adventure.  Hopefully it is one that will lead us away from the grocery store and towards better eating.  First, let me warn you that I am not a gardener or a baker in the way that Kat is.  I tend to bake/cook six standard things fairly well and kill all plants that come into my possession.

But I have been waiting patiently for two books from the library for three months.  The first is Healthy  Bread in Five Minutes a Day by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois.  The second is All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.  I got tired of waiting and begun my journey with a trip to the bookstore.  I brought them home, began reading and took a nap. 

After eating a snack and instructing my boy that he could go up to the shed to set a trap for my girl and her friend with the goo he found outside, I am writing this. 

I am hoping to make bread on a regular basis and grow our own garden this year.  I am going to keep myself accountable by writing very short entries on my adventures.  Don't expect pictures.  I am very impatient with the camera/computer system I own right now.  This is evidenced by the fact that the husband, the boy, the girl and I went on a vacation to ski at Breckenridge and I did not take a single photo.  Not one.  But it was beautiful.  If you don't care about my picture-less adventure, but love Kat, just skip over me.  I won't mind. 

Tomorrow I am off to buy Vital Wheat Gluten, which I could of done in the space of my nap, but I would have had to get back in the car.  I have never heard of this ingredient, but am confident in the power of the American Supermarket. 

I am also going to hope that my noble husband will build my boxes for my weed-less square foot garden.  Yes, I could do it myself, but why?  There is a lot more to the gardening story, but you will have to wait for it to slowly dribble out.

2 comments:

  1. I would imagine Kat is a little daunting to have as a best friend. Is there anything she ISN'T good at???

    I'm more with you when it comes to baking and gardening. I am terrible at cakes, just terrible. Bread-baking is something I do on a regular basis because I don't eat wheat, so I make my own with spelt.

    And this year is my first attempt at a real garden except for one very lame one about ten years ago. My plot is about 24 square feet, because I just don't trust myself with anything more. I planted my first crop, peas, about three weeks ago, and haven't even seen a single tiny hint of a sprout yet.

    Oh, and I'm really bad with taking pictures. I've gotten a little better in the past year, but I can't tell you how many events have come and gone without photos because I just totally forget to get out the camera.

    Good luck with your adventures, and I look forward to hearing about them, with or without pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh jeepers, I'm blushing!
    There's lots I'm not good at...you just don't see those stories!!!!

    ReplyDelete