Friday, April 9, 2010

A toast to you

It's Friday evening and I'm sitting at my desk with a glass of Beaujolais in hand, wondering why I haven't posted one. single. time. this past week.

It's been a hard week, but not that hard. No deaths, no illness, nothing over the top. But everything has been struggly this past week.

Struggly? My blog, my vocabulary!

I made some good food and some great food and some bad food for Easter at my in-laws. I took great photos during the process, but didn't get any photos of two of the three completed items. The one item I did get a "finished" shot of tasted terrible. You can't tell that from the photo, of course, but I would know. Oh, how do I know. Is there anything worse than a room full of people politely picking over the visually stunning but crappy dessert you made for Easter dinner? Yes, there is. What's worse is finding out that your mother-in-law's mother-in-law (did you follow that?) is famous (so why didn't anyone tell me this?!!!) for her version of the dessert. Mille Feuille, aka Napoleons, were my Easter Waterloo.

Let's see, this past week it has also snowed every day. I really love my job because I get to be outside a good portion of the time between April and October. But when you're lugging tractor batteries through the wilds and the snow starts falling as you're wiring up loggers and sensors and you discover your chest-waders don't seem to fit anymore (they shrank, I swear!) and now it's hailing and what else could go wrong and then you realize you forgot that one part you needed to complete the circuit and then you think you might have a tick crawling up the center of the back you might just want to start crying a little bit but you can't 'cause scientists don't cry, well, then, you might not like your job so much, just then. Just sayin'.

I did get a nice cheery note this week from my parents. They wanted to know when their granddaughter's birthday is (or was?)... Said grandchild responded to said e~mail. Said parents of mine then sent the e~mail back to said daughter with spelling corrections and asked for said daughter to please write more often.

And, it's snowing again...

More Beaujolais, please. 'Cause y'all know I need a little more "whine," right?

Company coming in the morning. Need to finish cleaning the house.

Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE struggly. That's a really great word. Interestingly, one of my favorite words I've made up is "strugglicious." As in, that's what life is.

    My Easter dessert looked like crap and tasted great. It was my second failed attempt at my mother's famous lemon pudding cake. It came out like lemon soup with a crust on top, but had enough sugar in it that nobody cared, they just slurped it right up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you! You make me laugh and I find my empathy and a little of myself in every tirade.

    ReplyDelete