Saturday, September 18, 2010

Glass beads for boring people

Yesterday evening found us sitting around trying to figure out what to do this weekend.  I came up with the great idea to get in the car and drive to Crater Lake.  We could be halfway there before bedtime, spend a couple more hours driving on Saturday, spend the day in the park, and then return home that night.  In 24 hours, I said, we could be sitting right back here with a trip to Crater Lake under our belts.

Nobody else was willing to entertain the thought.  Not even a little bit.  Not even in the teensiest little bit.  IN fact, the idea was shot down before it completely left my mouth.

In return, I pointed out just how annoyingly boring they were.

Mr. Boom said we could do whatever I wanted to do as long as it didn't entail spending the entire weekend in the car driving to a large hole in the ground that the weather service had a 100% chance of rain for the entire  weekend.

It was at that point I remembered seeing something online that I really wanted to try...

Thus, we spent our Friday night learning how to make glass beads from broken bottles.








A few hours later we had these two beads to show for the effort.

I can't wait to try a few things...

I'm thinking icicles for the Christmas tree, maybe little pendants for gifts, maybe enough made that someday I could make a little bracelet or necklace...who knows?

Blogger is giving me grief, even though I'm logged in as the administrator this evening.  I'll try to explain the process of bead-making sometime, but I've spent hours just getting these photos uploaded and this little bit of text inserted into the post. In fact, it has taken me longer to write this post than the entire bead project itself took!

In the meantime, take a look at this Instructable to get a really good feel for the process.

Also, don't forget that sometime tomorrow I'll be posting the winner of our one-year giveaway!

PS Anyone want to go to Crater Lake???! I'll drive!

3 comments:

  1. You know all the time I've lived in Oregon, I've never been to Crater Lake? (Okay, you probably don't know but it's true!) After JD retires - January, woot! - we're hoping to be able to travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! Good for you for giving it a try. I took a crazy expensive glass-blowing class years ago. While I came out with some nice paperweights and a (sort of rough) perfume container, I realized that I would leave the glass work for other people from then on. :-)

    ReplyDelete