Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween Apple Tart (by Kat)


Here it is, folks, the easiest apple tart in the world!

The inspiration came from Pioneer Woman, the perspiration came from Daring Cooks.

Roll out puff pastry dough to and approximate measurement of 6" by 12". You can use the frozen store bought variety, or go hog-wild and make your own as I did.

Cut a few apples in half, remove the cores, and slice up nice and thin. Don't peel the apples, because that's too much effort. In a bowl, combine the apple slices with a handful of brown sugar and let macerate (sit and get juicy) for about 15 minutes, or until your oven heats up to about 425F.


Layer the apples on nice and pretty-like if you're serving for brunch, or just heap 'em on if you're putting one in the oven to send off to school with a late riser for breakfast.


Cook until the pastry is puffed, the apples are soft, and the sugar shows some carmelization action. Cut with a very sharp knife or a pizza cutter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve.

PW dished these up with vanilla ice cream and called it dessert. I called it breakfast.

I'll let you choose the right answer here, if there is one.

6 comments:

  1. Wait a minute. Peeling the apples is too much work but you made your own puff pastry???

    "Macerate" is a great, if somewhat creepy, word.

    As always, you've made me drool. I might actually try this one, as I have a fridgeful of apples from the tree out back. Do you think it would work with spelt flour for the pastry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pollinatrix~
    I'm not sure if spelt flour can be used, but I've asked some experts and hopefully we'll hear back soon. I'll post their replies here, so check back~
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a little after the fact, but I would say yes, you could definitely make puff pastry with spelt flour, esecially if the original recipe calls for cake or pastry flour (because spelt has a lower gluten content, like cake/pastry flour). I've never made spelt puff pastry, but I have successfully made regular pastry and other baked goods with spelt many times, and the rule that I go by when substituting spelt for all purpose flour is to use either 25% less liquid OR 25% more flour in the recipe. In my experience, spelt flour acts quite similar to pastry flour, so I would think that when substituting spelt for cake or pastry flour, you could keep the ratio pretty much 1:1 (because they all have low gluten), but maybe reduce the liquid slightly or go easy on adding it at first.

    So, for your particular puff pastry recipe, I would substitute 3 1/4 cups spelt flour for the 2 1/2 cups all purpose (increasing the flour, so keeping the liquid amount the same), do a direct substitution of 1 1/4 cup spelt for the cake flour (same amount), and maybe reduce the liquid by a few tablespoons.

    I hope that helps!

    PS, I came across your blog from your post on the Daring Kitchen: Alternative Baking forum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Korena~
    And there you go, Pollinatrix!

    ReplyDelete