Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Spirit (by Kat)

Ok. If someone finds my holiday spirit, will they please return it to me?
Unless you need it more than I do. I have friends and family to compensate--maybe you don't?
Maybe I left it under one of these piles around here.
There's a pile of paper I bought to print out our Christmas cards. I never took a picture I liked well enough to put on the card, so those didn't get made or sent.
Maybe it's under these piles of candy and cookies. I only finished up one basket. I took some in to the office, but there was already so much there that the secretary just bundled mine back up and put it away for me to bring back home.
Maybe my Christmas spirit is in the box with what's left of the presents yet-to-be wrapped.
I just wish I could find it.

In other news....we're jumping off a cliff into the realm of homeschooling!
We haven't landed yet, we're still in the falling phase.
Our town only has one middle school, and it's not a great place. Bet and I met there, and that's the only good thing to be said for it. Anyway, my daughter is getting 6 A grades and one F. The F teacher thinks she's learning disabled. She picks on my girl, she nags at my girl, and makes my girl feel awful. The situation has been spiraling downhill, the principal won't transfer any more students out of this class (six have left her class already), and so what is left for us to do?
Long-term fixes are required, none of which will help our girl. By the time the teacher has been retrained or fired, it won't help us out at all. So, we're grabbing the bull by the horns and we'll see what our hands end up full of.
I suppose that as her new teacher I'll need to refrain from ending my sentences in prepositions...

I need some joy, I need some assurance, I need to feel prepared.
Shower. Carols. Call the school and tell them to shove it. Call the Washington Virtual Academy to finish the enrollment process. Wrap presents. Get ready to leave this evening to stay at the in-laws through Christmas.

Ok, whoever has my Christmas spirit can keep it. I've got a list, I've got a plan, and I'm gonna make some of my own if it kills me!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hadn't read this yet when I answered your comment over at my blog, but I STILL think you'll find a way to create a Merry Christmas for yourself!

    I attempted to do a family photo in front of the Christmas tree, but yeah. No. I don't think there's any such thing as an unblurry photo with a cranky two-year-old in it, at least not with the kind of camera I have.

    That's so sad about your treat basket! That secretary should have kept yours and gotten rid of somebody else's - I bet yours was the best stuff there. She obviously doesn't read your blog.

    Congratulations on homeschooling! I homeschooled my two older daughters for a couple of years and it was great. I never felt like I was doing "enough" though, until they returned to regular school and took tests that placed them in advanced classes. My biggest advice - go easy on yourself. It takes a while to adjust, and will probably not end up looking quite the way you thought/hoped it would. Also, a good homeschool group can be a wonderful thing, if there's one in your area.

    ReplyDelete